“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”
Episode 019 —
In which Jasmine and Joy talk about pop culture and tricks, pranks, hoaxes, and other tomfoolery.
We gossip about the Foo Fighters’ “break-up” and new boy band lead singer, share a few laughs at the expense of Milli Vanilli, and reminisce about a clever worker bee at Sub Pop played a hilarious (and very memorable) prank on a clueless journalist from the NYTimes during the height of Seattle grunge era. Better get bound and hagged then put on your fuzz, wack slacks, and plats for that last story. Rock on, cob nobbler!
We dig in and discuss different forms of heroic trickery in movies, including the shitty but effective Trojan horse in the movie Troy (2004) which was based on Homer’s Iliad as well as two documentaries about WWII that you should add to your must-see list: The Ghost Army (2013) and Garbo: The Spy (2009).
When’s the last time you made a prank call? No one did it better than Bart Simpson, except maybe Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom (1994) or possibly Michael Jackson who liked to prank a cranky celebrity “gladiator.”
Plus—Don’t miss our peak rating of Hollywood’s most notorious trickster: George Clooney. What does it say about our nerd factor that we both favored Rosemany Clooney’s nephew in movies based on beloved books?
We close out the episode with a short celebrity book chat about Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends by Penn & Teller (1989) that delightfully twists into a personal discussion about a prank involving a bizarro-universe version of “beige belt” Andrew Ridgeley.
PS: Shout to our pals over at Worst Friends Forever on their one year anniversary. The podcast world is better with you three in it.
Songs/tv shows/movies/etc. that we love and recommend:
- Le Tigre “Fake French”
- Neri Per Caso ft. Mario Biondi “What a Fool Believes”
- The Spinettes “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
- Foo Fighters ft. Nick Lachey “Everlong”
- Rick Astley “Never Gonna Give You Up”
- Fab Morvan “Girl, I’m Gonna Miss You”
- Sonic Youth “Touch Me I’m Sick”
- Emma Beatson “Chain of Fools”
- Scott Roberts “Star 69”
- The Simpsons “Flaming Moes” (1991)
- Serial Mom (1994)
- Fjordy Cody Band ft. Maricar “Foolish Beat”
- Roseanne (1994)
- Nespresso “Training Day” commercial (2015)
- Ocean’s Eleven (2001)
- O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) (“Man of Constant Sorrow” Soggy Bottom Boys)
- Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
- Out of Sight (1998)
- Shani Fawni “Magic Trick”
- Kasia Sochacha “Foolish Games”
- Argo (2013)